I thought I'd share with you a list of tried and true things that help me shake one of those "funks" and turn a bad day into a good day.
1. Go for a run.Exercise is the hardest for me on days I am feeling especially "blah" but those are the days I absolutely need it the most.
2. Get out in nature. The other day I was just grumpy, discontent and in one of those funks for no real reason. At lunch, I decided to get away from my desk and just take a little walk to get a diet coke instead of driving. That 15 minutes I spent walking in the fresh air left me feeling refreshed and ready to take on the rest of my day. This is also why I LOVE running outside. There's something about being in nature that is just good for your soul.
3. Encourage someone else. Sending an encouraging email or text or telling someone how much they're appreciated and cared for is not only mood boosting for you, but it also can make someone else's day so much better as well.
4. Set aside 30 minutes to silence my phone, step away from the computer, and just have some time to read a good book or journal or pray. There is value in disconnecting and taking a few minutes to do whatever it is that recharges you.
5. Laugh. Laughter is good medicine for anyone, and a good out loud laugh sometimes is all I need to shake those funks that come out of nowhere.
6. Organize or clean something. I find some real satisfaction in taking control of an out of control situation (like my closet). But even when I don't have the energy to commit to cleaning my train wreck closet for 5 hours, even just doing the dishes or making my bed helps me feel more accomplished and less anxious.
7. Write a Grateful list. Its very hard to be discontent when you are being thankful. Sometimes, whatever I am frustrated about is what I need to thank God for. For example, if work is stressing me out, I thank God for a really great job, and list all the things I am thankful for about my job. It really helps put things in perspective.
What is on your list? I always tell myself to try just ONE of these things when I am having a bad day. And usually, one leads to another and soon enough, I am not such a crankasaurus.
I also have a special gift for you lovely readers-today only, take 30% off all ad spaces with the code TGIF! Some ads start today, so hurry and snag one before their gone!
Have you guys met this gorgeous friend of mine, Hannah? She blogs over at Hannah, Here and she is SUCH an inspiration to me! She is into fitness and eating healthy, and always has really great recipes for juices and healthy meals on her blog. She is currently dating her boyfriend Christian and each month they do a new and fun date night that I love to read about. Hannah's blog is always inspiring, and she definitely has the gift of encouragement. She has encouraged me so much since I met her and I love being her friend! Go say hello to this girl, you will absolutely love her!