Hi friends! My name is Lauren and I write over at The Albrechts Blog. I am so excited to get to share this space with Brittany today. Isn't she the cutest?! She has inspired me so much lately when it comes to working out in these cold winter months. So thanks, girl! Well, I'm hoping to get to share in that inspiration with you all today! Like Brittany, I'm a runner, too.
But I never in a million years thought I would call myself a runner! Anybody with me?! Well, little did I know… once I started, I loved it. So for those of you cynics like me who think running can't be fun, ever… I have something great for you.
1.Pick a place you enjoy.
I love running outside because it gives me an excuse to get out there and enjoy the beautiful world around me. It's especially fun for me now that we've moved to a totally new place. Each run is an adventure to see what's around us in our new town! But, if you're just starting… pick a warm day to start, that way you aren't totally miserable. Running outside in the winter is definitely another challenge in itself! And if running outside in the cold doesn't tickle your fancy, try the gym or an indoor track!
2. Find a buddy.Have another friend who wants to start running? It's helpful to choose a buddy who is close to your level of running experience. When I started running a year ago, I started with my best friend. And neither one of us could make it more than half a mile! But knowing that she was struggling right next to me gave me the encouragement I needed to keep going. It was so helpful to know I had someone next to me who was experiencing the same struggle that I was!! It also helped to hear her urge me on and hear myself encourage her to keep going, even when I wanted to stop. I probably wouldn't love running today if I hadn't started out with her.
3. Be patient with yourself.It's okay that you can't run very far on your first day! Running, like anything worth your attention in life, takes time. You have to build up your endurance and your strength... which is so rewarding, by the way.
4. Set realistic goals.Start out each run with a goal: I want to get ____ far today. The first day, that was half a mile for me. The next day it was at least half a mile, but three-fourths if I could keep going, etc. Listen to your body and know when it's best to stop. Every day (especially in the beginning!) you can run a little farther than the day before.
5. Keep at it, even when it gets hard.When you plan to get up in the morning to run... do it. Don't hit the snooze! If you planned to run after dinner, don't opt to sit on the couch and watch TV instead. And if you have started your run, but you're struggling to make it to your goal for the day... push through it! A second wind will come and you will be so proud that you kept going after you've finished, promise.
6. Run a race!If nothing else, it will give you motivation to be diligent in running. I promise you, it's actually fun! I didn't think I'd ever want to actually run in a race... but it gave me motivation and I was excited when the day came! Not to mention I felt extremely accomplished afterward.
Now get out there, get running, and tell me how you do! :)
And for those of you who are runners already, what did you do to get yourself started and ENJOY it along the way? Share your wisdom with us!!
Lauren also is super crafty and makes these ADORABLE burlap banners. I wish I would've known her before my wedding because I would've kept her busy with all the burlap banners I used! She is giving away one custom banner to one of you lucky readers. They're perfect for parties, baby/bridal showers, decoration for your mantle, etc!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
BLOG | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN
This link-up will happen every Monday, but it is absolutely not necessary that you join in every single week (although we'd love to have you!) Get Fit, Feel Confident, Be Healthy is all about ANYTHING having to do with your journey to a more fit, fabulous, and healthy you in 2014!